Sunday, July 18, 2010

29: Day 22/New York, NY

Date: 16/7/10
Town: Manhattan, NY
Time: 11.29pm
Timezone: -04.00

I realise this blog is late. I'm sorry, there's so much to do and so not enough time to do it in. So, be kind, and enjoy reading.

These vagabond shoes are longing to stray. And step around the heart of it. In old, New York...
H'okay, let's cut straight to the chase. This city is amazing. I'd stay here forever if I thought I'd survive more than a week. As I mentioned to some others earlier, the closest I've ever felt to this sort of claustrophobia is being in the middle of a mosh pit at Soundwave music festival. But notably less bogans.
And now I'm here I am at perfect liberty to Brooklyn Rage my heart out, if only I could do a Brooklyn accent... Gosh. Otherwise, I'd be totally raging in a Brooklyn way.
If you don't know Brooklyn Rage, then get Googling already.
So we arrived after lunch, having flown through Toronto from Halifax to LaGuardia airport in New York. Didn't see too much on the flight in, because it was rather cloudy.


But pretty, pretty clouds they are.
So we arrived in the 33 degree heat in America, and to my surprise there was very little security checks as we arrived. I would have thought they'd fully take all the stuff out of my bag and make me do trivia or something. They were more adamant about security in San Francisco, actually. Hmmm.
We taxi'd over to the hotel and after check in we walked from the hotel and found ourselves in the heart of NEW YORK!


This place is oh so freaky and oh so big. I can hardly remember what's where and where's what, and if my head wasn't screwed on I would have lost it already. But it's amazing. There's so much to do and so much to see and I think if I stayed here longer than half a week I would collapse and become a vegetable. It's so full on.


This first afternoon we pretty much just had a look around Times Square and Broadway. Apparently the rule for owning a building in Times square is that you have to have some form of advertising on it. So there is billboards everywhere. Also, there's a lot of taxi's. And even though it's illegal to honk your horn in New York ($350 fine) it still happens.
I also watched the seventh firetruck go past me today without my being able to get a photo of it. I have gone almost all the way across Canada and been to San Francisco and I have seen so many firetrucks with the lights and the siren and then some stupid fat person or a bus or a bus full of fat people gets in the way. Always. Grrrrr.
I will get you, firetruck.
So that's all that happened today. A lady at the hotel asked if we were European.
No, actually. We're from Azerbaijan. Get it right, lady.
Oh, and there's bike taxi's. And Dad was getting annoyed that they kept ringing their bells at us to give us a ride, and then I explained that are moderately sized people and the guys on the bikes would rather pull a cart full of not-fat people. Which, granted, was a pretty harsh comment to make, but we watched them all riding around Central Park and we came to realise that it was true.


So that's my first afternoon in New York, and it's so hard to describe. It's just so overwhelming. (And I'll post very soon my second day. I mean it. Really.)
Blog ya later!
If I hadn't decided to be mature and not use emoticons in this blog, I would be using so many colon capital D smiley faces that you wouldn't be able to read a word.
That's how much I love this city.

1 comment: