Tuesday, June 29, 2010

8: Day 3/Welcome to Canada

Date: 27/6/2010
Time: 10.00am
Town: Vancouver, British Columbia
Timezone: GMT -07.00

Note: I'm trying to blog every night the day that I just had, but it's hard because I'm a little bit behind. God almighty. I didn't get to even write a blog for a few days. Blogging is so hard when you can't connect to the internet. It's a minor detail, I know, but I'm working on it.


We woke up this morning with the same foggy fog we always see in San Francisco, but with the sad thought of having to leave, the happy thought of going to Canada and the unsure thought of how-are-we-gonna-get-out-of-town-when-the-road-is-full-of-rainbow-coloured-paraders?
It was not in my knowledge that we weren't hanging around to see the parade (boo - I was looking forward to the frivolity) and we left pretty early. Our shuttle bus was terrible, the guy driving it spoke English but just didn't talk to us and the other guys on the bus were quite strange. One was an English backpacker who liked soccer, didn't like that England had lost and was expressing his dislike in a very colourful manner. His use of the four-letter-friend-getter was tres impressiv.


This is a picture of San Francisco from the sky. The massive amounts of fog is where the Golden Gate is meant to be. I think it's haunted. The flight to Vancouver was very pleasant. Small plane, only two aisles and two seats per aisle. Cozy without being cramped, good leg space, good food, good movies. I watched Iron Man, but the movie didn't even finish because the flight was so short. The first Iron Man, by the way. Nobody loves me enough to take me to see the second one.
We flew with Air Canada and I liked the way they said the announcements in English and then in French. They could be talking about seatbelts or emergency exits, but they could have fooled me.


This is the first look of Canada from the plane. Quite overcast but mountains and skyline were very pretty.
We arrive in Canada, all touristy like, and they say 'out' like Wong does and I snicker whenever I hear it. Cause he says oot. Sorry Matt, I find that hilarious. And they say 'for sure', which is awesome. I love that they're so certain about everything.
Pictures from Vancouver airport? Well, sure. Here's some planes... woooh!


And we got this awesome car, a model of Dodge called a Caravan. But it's not actually a Caravan. It's just massive. So much room, even with six bags worth of luggage.


And it's freaking me out with everyone driving on the right side of the road. I know that the Americans created motor vehicles and so they get to decide which side of the road they drive on, but seriously it's freaking me out. I keep seeing people turning across the intersection and I'm like 'YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! STOOOOP!' but then I remember that they are doing it right and I'm just not good at adjusting.


So we went around the park near our house, they call it Stanley Park. It's pretty dandy, very pretty, very picturesque. I feel like I'm living in a book where everything's pretty and dandy, dandy and pretty.


You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but you can roller skate through a pack of lake birds. Well, at least this guy could. He was making some pretty rambunctious noises though.


And ROCK ME AMADEUS, there's SQUIRRELS in Canada!
I have never seen a squirrel outside a zoo. This is spectacular. There are also massive gulls hanging around and really cool looking ducks. Apparently there are bears and moose on the road, and we'll see them when we drive around. Significantly more exciting than squirrels, but nonetheless...


This isn't wildlife but it's cool. Old Taxi, awesome!
We're staying at the Times Square hotel on Robson Street, there are so many shops and cafes down this street. It's amazing. I am shopping like a shopper-bitch, and I don't usually do that. It's been so much fun.


This is from the foreshore. And yes, that is a tree on top of that building. Ingenious.


So that was my first day in Canada, I love Canadians and I love squirrels. I'll blog about my second and third day in Vancouver when linksys' internet decides to work. Goddammit, linksys! Respect the fact I am stealing your wi-fi and work every now and again, please.

3 comments:

  1. That tree building is awesome! and i dont quite understand the picture of the the first sight of canada. it doesnt make sense to me. Looks like everythings going to plan, the expected fun is shaping up to its expectations which is awesome. hope your havin fun! go to concerts! your in ameri....oh, canada. Three days grace are from canada! (also many other bands, but TDG!!!) get their autography! im expecting a fully officially signed poster of all of the members now. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vancouver...sounds like a dutch cougar :D

    VAANCOUVAR

    those last two pictures look like Mandurah hehe

    but wow so awesome your exploring North America

    I love trips where you rent a car, and in your case a massive minivan, so cool. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. aha no, the first picture is the last image of sunrise in san francisco. and yes, continental america + family van = AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete